3/4 of Croatian HR experts prefer local workers

tie-690084_640MojPosao, in cooperation with SELECTIO, conducted a survey among human resources experts. The aim was to detect changes in the labor market which are expected after July 1 this year.

Most HR professionals, they 65% is considered to be Croatian accession to the European Union will boost abroad employment. At the same time, 43% believe that the first few years there will be no changes.

One-third (33%) believes that the entry into the EU to encourage foreign investment and create jobs, and nearly a quarter of HR professionals (24%) expected recovery of the domestic economy and, again, creating new jobs.

Also, 24% of respondents consider that the entry into the EU to encourage the immigration of foreign labor force in Croatia, while only 2% expect no change.

86% of HR experts said that Croatian workers are competitive in the European labor market.

"They have the knowledge and the will and the need to work"- said one of the respondents.

Only 7% of them believe that our employees are not competition to 'Europeans', while 7% are undecided.

Opinions are divided over our education system. Less than half (48%) of experts in human resources believe that our education system provides good preparation for entry into the European labor market.

At the same time, 45% think that our education system is bad,and as the explanation they talk about lack of practice through education and insufficient use of advanced technology. The remaining 7% of respondents could not assess the quality of the Croatian education system.

When it comes to foreign languages, most HR professionals, 68% of them considered that foreign languages ​​will not be an obstacle to employment of Croatian citizens in EU. Nearly a quarter of HR professionals (24%) believes that the citizens don't speak foreign languages, while 8% can't assess that.

Loud initiatives and calls to citizens to emigrate from Croatia is not only a reflection of rebellion, but it also shows that the number of departures abroad grows.

Specifically, 67% of HR professionals believe that a lot of people have already left or actively working on leaving Croatia.

Almost a third (30%) consider that young people just talk about leaving and only small part of them is ready for departure.

"People are passive and do not fight for changes, even if they think about leaving because of paperwork they often give up (lack of persistence)." - said one of the respondents.

Only 3% of respondents believe that the number of young people who want to leave the country does not change during years.

When commenting on the reasons for young people going abroad, the majority of HR professionals, 82%, believes that the reason for departure is the insufficient number of jobs in the country. 48% of HR professionals also believe that the young people would leave country for better salary, and 41% due to better working conditions. Only 16% of HR professionals believe that the main 'motivator' is opportunity for advancement, and only 3% think that job security is motivator.

Many Croatian workers who want to stay at home are afraid of even greater competition in the labor market, but it seems that they should not be afraid. Most HR experts (67%) believe that the foreigners will not 'take away' jobs to local workers. A fifth (20%) of them believe that could happene, while 13% can't assess.

Encouraging response comes from 73% of HR professionals who have confirmed that even after Croatian accession to the EU they will prefer domestic workers. None of the remaining 27% of HR experts will not be oriented to foreigners because they care about competencies, not the country employees come from. Only 9% of respondents said that they will try to find new employees outside the country after July 1st.

83% of HR professionals support freedom in hiring, they are even against temporary restrictions for hiring Croatian workers in other countries.

"Knowledge is what is important, not the origin" - said one of the HR professionals.